Yoga is the perfect opportunity to be curious about who you are.



Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Hump Day Happies: Supercalafragalisticexpialadoshus

Don't you just love the sensation that blankets over you when you hear a song, watch a movie, or read a book from your childhood?  If I could, I would take a trip through time at least once a day.  I swear, every time I see or hear some reference to The Little Prince, my heart seems to grow five times larger and my mind is engulfed with nothing but an intoxicating feeling of bliss.  I love that book- it's basically my philosophy of everyday life.

Well, this past weekend I was able to dive yet again into a more tender age.  My best blonde friend and I put on our PJs, prepared a snack, melted into her couch and watched Mary Poppins.  Watching this movie brought me back to such a wonderful place and time in my life.  Yes, I am very happy with my life today, but there is something incomparable about life when you were a child.  There is a great quote that states “There is a garden in every childhood, an enchanted place where colors are brighter, the air softer, and the morning more fragrant than ever again.” It seems that everything we saw, felt, smelt and heard appeared so grandiose and radiant.  Tapping back into the innerchild in all of us allows us to reacquaint ourselves with these experiences.  Snuggling with my memories and watching Mary Poppins on that couch felt amazing.  I found myself remembering the lyrics to the songs, recalling my favourite scenes, and reminiscing on how beautiful I thought Julie Andrews was (and still is!) when I was a little girl.  I wished I would look like her when I grew up.  I even wanted to be her: on windy days I would stand in my driveway with an open umbrella, hoping that I would be whisked into the skies just like Mary.  I also had a crush on Bert, Dick Van Dyke's character.  He was funny, charming, and loved kids.  What more could a little girl ask for?  Once the movie was done, my best blonde friend and I were immerged in nothing but warmth.  We couldn't stop smiling during and after. 

It's incredible how something so simple can conjure up such pleasant feelings.  Please allow that garden inside of you to continually blossom.  Find something that takes you back to your childhood.  It can be more than a movie, television show, song or book.  It can be a scent.  It can be something you taste.  Whatever that thing is, let it back into your life and let the sincerity of that emotion envelope you.  May you all find your inner garden on this beautiful and sunny Hump day.

Namaste,
Lady Lotus

No comments:

Post a Comment