Yoga is the perfect opportunity to be curious about who you are.



Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Namastyle

One of my co-workers/friend/fellow blogger asked me to collaborate with her on a piece she wanted to include in her blog. Ari (who also inspired me to start my Yoga Board of Inspiration) is the talented mind behind She Dreams at Night, a blog about everything related to fashion, and more.  So if mine is a bloga, does that make hers a flog? Haha, I had to say it.  Ok, back on topic...she wanted to include a post about yoga and fashion, and I was extremely honoured when she approached me to write it.  So my friends, below is what I came up with...enjoy!

If there is one thing I have learned in the last two years while practicing yoga regularly, it’s that yoga is the practice of non-judgment. I find it integral to leave your ego at the door in order to prosper from a rejuvenating and terrific yogic experience. This can mean many things, such as not worrying about how flexible you are, not comparing yourself to the person beside you and not pushing yourself over and above your own personal limit. But let’s get straight to another fundamental point- after all, this is a fashion blog, right? To me, the practice of non-judgment also means not worrying about what you’re wearing while doing yoga. It is so important to be comfortable- the last thing you want is your pants riding while in Warrior II, or your tank top straps slipping down your arms when trying to perform Reverse Half-Moon. However, in order to find comfort, you need to find yoga clothes that are of a good quality. This is where the most taxing of questions comes along…

Where do I find first-rate yoga attire? Okay, ask yourself this question a second time- what is the first place that comes to mind? Chances are you answered Lululemon. Yes, they have such nice clothes, and a lot of choice. They are one of the biggest mainstream yoga retailers. Unfortunately, they also have a price tag accompanied with each piece of clothing that may not please your bank account! You need to collect all your pennies in order to afford most of the clothing in their store. I know, I know, their pants make your butt look fabulous. But people, let us not forget the golden rule: yoga = non-judgment. No one will be checking out your buns when in Downward Facing Dog, because they’ll all be staring at the back wall, just like you. But of course, I didn’t want to be judgmental- I need to practice what I preach! So I even went straight to the source. I asked a good friend of mine, who worked there for a long time, what are so special about their clothes that their tank tops have to marked up to $70? Her answer? “Meh, it’s over-priced…” So with regards to this specific topic, a jacked-up price tag does not necessarily mean better quality. I myself am a Costco girl. They carry Danskin, a great clothing line for yoga enthusiasts. I have bought 5 pairs of yoga pants there, all below 15$. Some are just cotton, while others have spandex in them. And you know what? I have been wearing them and practicing in them for years. They don’t give my wedgies, and they don’t split down the middle. I think my butt looks pretty darn good in them too, if I do say so myself. I also bought yoga tops at Costco for about $10, and I am never worried about an out of control boob popping out or having the shirt ride up my torso. I have washed the clothes numerous times, let them air-dry, put them in the dryer, folded them, stepped on them…they are all flawless. So while some of you may want to show off the little logo on the back of your pants or your top, remember: no one is paying attention to that minor detail.  If you have the means to spend a bit more dough on the clothing you want, by all means, spend away, but won't it feel great to save some money?  For the most serious and determined yoga practitioner, it isn’t the clothes that will make you feel good about yourself- only you can do that.


Namaste,
Lady Lotus

1 comment: