Yoga is the perfect opportunity to be curious about who you are.



Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Hump Day Happies: Happy-fy Your Surroundings

After the New Year I bought myself a desk calendar- yes, how old school of me when I have a complete interactive Outlook calendar on my computer, right?  Well, not only was this desk calendar 80% off but it is full of daily insights from the Dalai Lama.  I have this habit of continually trying to surround myself with little pieces of happiness while I'm at work.  That way, if I'm having a rough day, I can glance over to something on my desk and it will spontaneously bring a smile to my lips.  It began with a tiny stuffed pig given to me by my wonderful co-worker and friend C-Flo, then a picture of The Little Prince with one of my favouite quotes: "On ne voit bien qu'avec le coeur.  L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." 

Afterwards, I framed a picture of Vinny and I with ridiculous expressions on our faces- a little reminder to not take myself too seriously!  And now, my daily anecdotes from the Dalai Lama are here to lift me up when I'm sinking in my chair.  There is one in particular that I would like to share with you on this hump day.  "Under no circumstances should you lose hope.  Hopelessness is a real cause of failure.  Remember, you can overcome any problem."  Now if that isn't a cause for motivation, I don't know what is!  I've kept this particular page of the calendar close to me, so if at any given time I find myself practicing the opposite of what this tiny page preaches, it acts as a friendly reminder that there is always a light at the end of a dark winding tunnel.

So I suppose I have two topics for today's Hump Day Happy.  First, surround yourself today with things that will chipper your spirits.  Secondly, always remember that no matter how discouraging something can be, you can overcome it- today, and tomorrow, and the day after that!

Namaste,
Lady Lotus

No comments:

Post a Comment