Yoga is the perfect opportunity to be curious about who you are.



Monday, May 3, 2010

Position of the Week: Utkata Konasana (Goddess Squat)

Benefits: This pose will energize and warm your body.  It will open up your chest and hips, as well as strengthen your lower body.  It will stimulate your respiratory and cardiovascular systems.  You will feel completely empowered- like you can take on the world!


You know that expression "I am woman- hear me roar!"?  Well, this is what I feel flowing through my body when I go into Goddess Squat.  Maybe it's the strength I feel rushing through my back as I squat in a solid position, or maybe it's the way my hips open up like a sturdy gate.  Regardless, this asana allows every ounce of womanhood within you to flourish on the inside and out.  We are constantly told to keep our legs together, our legs crossed, our ankles crossed...there must be something liberating behind the chance to spread our legs with no judgement involved, and feel empowered and strong.  Having your arms up in the air, palms facing forward, creates an image of mighty womanliness that I can't seem to shake off as reminding me of a variation of the dance to "Stop, in the Name of Love" by The Supremes.  It allows you to feel rooted into the ground, and rooted up towards the sky.  The Goddess Squat allows you to be firm like a brick wall, all the while remaining in touch with your vigorous feminity.  A perfect asana for any woman...or man- don't let the pose intimate you, boys, you can do it too!

Namaste,
Lady Lotus

1 comment:

  1. i felt the same way when i first did it too it makes me feel open and more incontrol of my self

    ReplyDelete