Yoga is the perfect opportunity to be curious about who you are.



Monday, May 31, 2010

Position of the Week: Parighasana (Gate Pose)

Benefits: This asana stretches the sides of your torso, spine and hamstrings.  It opens up your shoulders, and also stimulates the abdominal organs and lungs.

There are three reasons I have chosen Gate Pose as this week's worthy asana.  The first is because last week during yoga class, my fabulous teacher had us dabble in variations of side bends.  In both seated and standing poses, we explored really opening up the right and left sides of our bodies.  The deepening of the stretches made my ribs feel as though they were expanding to twice their level.  It was such an awakening to tap into these left and right extremeties of my torso.  With every unwind I noticed my breath feeling more connected and my mind feeling more relaxed.  I really felt a type of elastic pressure in my sides, which made me recognize the malleability of my whole body's potential.  I felt springy- sort of like a Slinky!

The second reason I have chosen Gate Pose is because once I stepped outside this morning, the air smelt of camping.  Now, I thought to myself "Ok, you're obviously going through camping withdrawal and wish you were back already!"  But sadly, it wasn't just my beserk imagination playing tricks on me.  There have been 52 forest fires in Quebec this past week, due to the heat we have had and the lack of rain.  As a result, the smoke has been blown through Montreal, Ottawa and even parts of Vermont.  It saddens me to think of all the homes that have been evacuated, and all the animals that have lost their dwellings.  With this smoky air drifting above us, it makes it difficult for asthmatics (such as myself) to breathe comfortably.  So I find myself turning to Gate Pose for support in the stimulation of my lungs.  On a side note, I will dedicate my practice this week to all living creatures who have been affected by this unfortunate natural disaster.

Now, what is the third reason?  Well, that's simple: because the Monkey can do this one, too!
Namaste,
Lady Lotus

1 comment:

  1. I found this blog searching for help with yoga poses, and I really love this blog! I wish it was still recent. Especially these ones about the specific poses and the benefits. I love your passion about them.

    ReplyDelete