Yoga is the perfect opportunity to be curious about who you are.



Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Hump Day Happies: Giving The Best Of Yourself

On Saturday, I went for a walk- a very long walk.  I participated in the Canadian Cancer Society's Annual Relay for Life.  This is the second year in a row where I have dedicated myself to walking from 7pm until 7am and raising significant funds for the fight against cancer.  Thanks to all my friends and family who donated, I was able to raise $2100.  It is an accomplishment of which I am very proud, and could not have done it without the help of my loved ones.  It was a long walk, but definitely a fun one.  What was most touching was seeing the survivors, wearing their yellow T-Shirts, opening up the event with a victory lap.  Two of them were young girls, probably no more than 8 years old.  One was a guy around my age.  It really hit me to see such young people who had the unfortunate experience of having to go through something as scary as cancer.  But they did, and they overcame it.  I was filled with hope.  Our route was lit by luminaries which we personalized with dedications- such a beautiful and inspiring path to light our way.  Throughout the night my yoga training came in handy, too.  I would stop every few laps and stretch, followed by a tree pose or goddess pose- these asanas left me feeling alive and able to continue on with my journey!  At times I would sit, stand and squat with my eyes closed, and breathe in the air that felt as though the spirits of those I have loved and lost to cancer were being carried on it, ready to push me back up onto my feet.

It feels so good to be able to give back to the community in one form or another.  It may be by volunteering, it may be by fundraising, it may be by dedicating one's self to aiding someone or something.  Whatever it is that you do that adds a pinch of hope to someone's life, know that you are doing something remarkable.

So on this Hump Day, I would like for all of you to think of something you can do that can help our community in some way, in a completely unselfish manner.  You can give a few hours of your time to a charitable organization, participate in a chartiable event, or you can help someone carry their heavy groceries to their car if it appears that they're struggling.  There is no size to the amount of help you can give- it's the size of your heart that will do the giving.

Namaste,
Lady Lotus

1 comment: