Yoga is the perfect opportunity to be curious about who you are.



Monday, February 8, 2010

Position of the Week: Vasisthasana (Side Plank Pose)

Benefits: This pose will strengthen your arms, belly, wrists and legs.  It will also stretch your wrists and back of your legs.  You will also find that this pose will help your sense of balance.

Ok, where do I begin...the first time I went into Side Plank Pose, I hated it!  It was probably my 3rd yoga class, and I thought the teacher was crazy.  I can hardly do a push-up, how was I going to go into what appears to basically be a still push-up position, and then bring all the weight to one side?  I went into it slowly.  I remember repeating to myself "Ok, you're doing it...holy cr*p, you're doing it!  You rock!" And then I fell like a ton of bricks.  I realized then what I did wrong.  I wasn't calming my mind when in the pose.  I was so excited to actually be somewhat doing it, that I let my thoughts run wild and rampant.  I lost my concentration, and lost my balance.  I also had spaghetti arms, so that didn't help at all.

The second time around, I knew what to do.  Breathe. Relax your mind.  Strengthen your arms, your core, and your self-esteem.  Own the pose.  I went into plank, and already felt more stable.  As I brought my body to the right side, and placed one foot on top of the other, I tried not to get too excited.  Oh, I was happy that I was getting it right, but I wanted to stay focused.  I wanted to feel the echo of Side Plank Pose inside of me.  And you know what?  I did it!  I let myself feel the pose, rather than jusy try and do it.  And I started loving it!  It's a pose that made me feel so strong., and it continue to do so.  I was even able to go into it on the left side, with the same state of mind.  It was the first pose I did that I felt I really struggled with in the beginning, but then was able to open the door to.  

I now do this pose regularly in my practice, and it seems to get better every time.  One thing I have been trying to work on (and I am sure that a lot of you out there might do the same as me) is to redistribute my weight from my wrists.  I find that in many positions that require you to place a lot of pressure on your hands (such as Plank and Downward Dog) I have a tendency to put a lot of pressure in my wrists.  It makes it easier to have your arms feel like they're on lock-down, and as a result gives you the false impression that you are more rooted.  Well, to all my friends out there who put all their weight on their wrists: don't do it!  Coming from a personal perspective, once you learn to distribute your weight evenly at those extremeties, the poses will feel so much more comfortable and rewarding.  My fabulous teacher is always reminding me to grip the mat from my fingertips.  Really root down from every finger, especially the index one.  Press your fingers and knuckles into the mat when lifting, and take the pressure away from your wrists.  The outcome is wonderful.  You feel just as strong, and I also find that it doesn't make you hyper-extend your arms.  They feel like tree trunks, stable and ready to support you, without the fear of injury.  With regards to Side Plank, when you reach your opposing arm up towards the sky, you feel powerful.  It's as though you are offering yourself up to something amazing.  And coming out of the pose is like an extreme release of endorphins.  It's as though all the stress you build up inside leaks out from your fingertips, your toes, your pores...

Oh, and I believe I have promised you some blunders and blonde moments, didn't I?  Well, last week I fell.  I didn't slip on the ice.  I didn't stumble on some stairs.  I didn't collide into someone.  I simply just fell down, and the reason is because I just tripped over my own feet.  I didn't slip because of socks or get my shoe laces tangled.  I tripped, barefoot, over myself.  I was in my kitchen, and I suppose I can blame momentary loss of footing or flat out clumsiness, but I turned towards the fridge and I went down on the floor.  I landed on my right wrist.  No biggie, just a small bruise.  Had I fallen in an even more awkward position, I probably would have broken my wrist.  Seriously, I collapsed, like really hard and heavy!  Due to this, my wrist has been slightly sore since then.  Because of that, I really need to make sure I don't apply any unecessary pressure on it during my yoga practice- a good thing!  So please, start practicing balancing your weight in your fingers, knuckles and palms.  It is much better than applying it in your wrists.  And don't take my ever so graceful way into giving you no choice but to do so. 

Namaste,
Lady Lotus

No comments:

Post a Comment