Yoga is the perfect opportunity to be curious about who you are.



Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Polishing My Pranayama

Last Friday I went to my regular studio and practiced with my FabTeach.  Having been so busy I had unfortunately not found the time to go to the studio as often as my body and mind would have needed.  As a result, this class was a real treat.  I am always so amazed that no matter how long I may regrettably out of no control of my own stray from the studio, the strength I bring into my asanas never slackens.  I sometimes find myself wondering how my Plank Pose might look, or whether my Headstand will be straight.  I at times go weeks without being able to practice as regularly as I'd like to, but once I get right back into it, the vitality inside of me never lets me down.  I suppose it's kind of like riding a bike- they say you never forget.  Going back into various asanas, my body is my bicycle and is able to ride me into every pose without feeling out of shape.  I used to play volleyball and after having stopped for a while, my volleys and bumps are not as graceful as they used to be.  I am so thankful that yoga has proved to officially mold me and has, yet again, never let me down.

What really tickles me, however, is my breathing.  Everyone can breathe, but not everyone really knows how to breathe.  Since I have been practicing yoga I have completely changed the way I breathe, both on and off the mat.  My lungs thank me everyday for the calm, full breaths I give them.  So after Friday's class it became apparent to me that it is not the asanas I should be worried about being rickety- it's my breath.  As I sat in Easy Pose at the beginning of class, my respiration was all over the place.  It was quick and choppy, and as a result made it difficult for me to focus on the inside.  It was as though I had forgotten how to really breathe- has this ever happened to any of you?  The mind and the breath are so incredibly connected that without one being unruffled the other will follow closely in the same pattern.  Even when in some of the poses I found myself holding my breath.  I was endlessly reminding myself to breathe through each pose, in order to have my entire being build from it.  Finally, I centered my thoughts around my breath, and moved into Ujjayi Pranayama (Ocean Sounding Breath).  Feeling the contraction in my throat and listening to the sounds of waves I was able to create aided me in regaining my composure.  From that point on, once class was done and I lied in Supported Child's Pose, I had finally felt as though a window inside of me was wide open, letting the soothing air seep in.

The pranayama is so essential to engaging in a strong and positive yoga experience.  Though I may not be able to practice yoga asanas everyday, I am taking it upon myself to never forget how to breathe again.  Wherever I am, and in whichever situation I may be put in, I know that I can always count on my breath to carry me through anything.  I hope you all learn to do the same.

Namaste,
Lady Lotus

No comments:

Post a Comment