Yoga is the perfect opportunity to be curious about who you are.



Sunday, July 18, 2010

Atti Prayaa Rati

Alright, so I may be a little late in picking up the book, but I have finally started reading Eat Pray Love by Elizabeth Gilbert.  Prehaps I was exhausted by people telling me "What??  You haven't read it yet!?" with a similar tone of voice as though they were saying "What?  You've never tasted chocolate before!?"  The fact that I hadn't once perused the pages of this book seemed beyond belief to so many.  They would all say "Oh you are going to love it, you have to read it.  It's right up your alley."  I played around with the idea of getting myself a copy, but never got around to it.  Truth be told, I have only recently become an avid bookworm.  But now the movie is coming out, and I want to go see it.  If there is one thing I try to do as little as possible it's going to see a film that is based on a book, before having read the book itself.  I love going to the theatre and sitting in front of that giant screen, already feeling a connection to the characters who I feel I have met before.  Chances are I will be seeing Eat Pray Love opening weekend.  Besides, I can't deprive myself too long of seeing James Franco on the big screen- he's so yummy.  But let me get back on track here- as much as I would love to write about how much I love James Franco (he is also guest starring on GH lately- double whammy!) my pionnering inspiration for this post goes beyond him and how excited I am to see him in this adaptation.

So yes, I have started reading Eat Pray Love and though I'm only about 60 pages into it, I am loving it.  Her writing is so easy to get engulfed in.  I speak for myself but am confident enough to assume that others may agree, but in her words I see a little piece of myself present.  Maybe it's because I am slowly becoming more in touch with the little voice inside me everyday, but so far this book has inspired me to want to connect with myself even more- to devote myself bountifully to embracing life.  It's funny but since this book has become so popular and full of hype, I asked myself am I possibly just too easily giving in to the words on the pages and becoming enveloped in what may be just a load of mumbo jumbo turned into a Julia Roberts Hollywood flick?  Well, nope.  I think that whatever I take from this book, whether it be inspiration or no, I have found a closeness, and it feels great.  There is one passage in particular that I would like to share with you here.  She writes about how she met a guru who, in essence, is the underlying awakening responsible for her remarkable journey.  After handing her a drawing of a person with four legs, a tree growing from their head and a face on their heart, he told her-
"To find the balance you want, you must keep your feet grounded so firmly on the earth that it's like you have four legs, instead of two.  That way, you can stay in the world.  But you must stop looking at the world with your head.  You must look through your heart instead."
Reading this part only 15 pages into the book, I was hooked.  I pictured myself in Tree Pose, visualizing the roots coming from down by my feet, making their way to the top of my head, with a smile on my lips, resonating all the way down to my heart.  Yeap, this is going to be a good read.

Namaste,
Lady Lotus


Ok, just one more James Franco moment...ahhh.

2 comments:

  1. Wait until you read about her meditation...that was partly my inspiration for getting back on my meditation stool. A great read,
    KB

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh I look forward to reading about that! I'm just wrapping up Italy. I want to start exploring meditation a bit more so maybe this book will also give me the extra push I need.

    ReplyDelete