Yoga is the perfect opportunity to be curious about who you are.



Friday, January 15, 2010

You Are The Mat Beneath My Wings

Although I tend to dabble in my wallet and slightly indulge on a few things from time to time, by all means I do not consider myself a materialist. But you know that feeling you get when you buy something new, that you really love? A small part of you feels fulfilled inside because, after all, if you decided to buy it, it obviously gives you some sense of pleasure. That was the feeling I had when I bought my new yoga mat.

I owe my new yoga mat to big bro and sis-in-law, who kindly sent me an Indigo gift card from Ottawa. My first thought was that I would buy a fantastic book, which is what most people anticipate when receiving and Indigo gift card. However, when I walked through the doors of the bookstore, I was blinded by a bright, beautiful sign. It read: 20% off selected GAIAM products. For those of you who are unfamiliar with GAIAM, they are a lifestyle company specializing in green living, yoga, fitness and organic products. I began weighing my options. Do I really need a new book? I have three of them at home just dying to be read. My choice was clear. Actually, I think that subconsciously I already had a new yoga mat in mind when driving to Indigo. I knew they sold GAIAM products, and that sale was like a finger pointing me in the right direction.

Choosing the perfect mat was like trying to choose my favorite color of the rainbow. There were so many to choose from, all unique in their own way. Being a colorful person at heart, I was surprised with my choice. A light grey mat with dark grey peonies etched at each opposing end. It’s called The Prosperity Mat. How appropriate since I think of myself as a very prosperous person due to all the wonderful people in my life. I clutched the mat between my hands, and I knew I had made the right choice. Now here is where the indulging person in me shows up. I wanted more. The mat was almost enough, but I wanted the whole iceberg. I knew I would have a few dollars leftover on the gift card, so I allowed my eyes to gaze to the right, where I saw it: my very first yoga strap. In case you’re wondering, a yoga strap is exactly that- a strap, but a glorious one. I walked to the cash with my head held high. Finally, my collection of yoga accessories had begun. I leave my usual yoga mat (that is really not as pretty) at the studio. As I unraveled the new one in my living room, my eyes shimmered and my jaw dropped. The Perfect Prosperity Mat. Now, my home practice is slowly becoming whole. Thank you, big bro and sis-in-law, for the unexpected gift from Indigo Bookstore.

Namaste,
Lady Lotus

3 comments:

  1. You're welcome! I hope it brings you many years of sun salutations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. .. and downward-dog crouching tigers! Glad you put the card to such good use!

    ReplyDelete