Yoga is the perfect opportunity to be curious about who you are.



Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Hump Day Happies- My Nanny


I can honestly say that my Nanny is hands down the cutest grandmother in the whole world. She lives in a very small community in Antigonish County, Nova Scotia. Her pastimes include baking, making people happy, and going to church. Seriously, I’m pretty sure she goes to church everyday. She lives right up the street from it. And when I say bake, I mean she bakes up a storm! For those of you who have met her and have tasted her treats, it’s safe to say that her baking is world-famous worthy. I don’t know what I love more: her pies, her cinnamon rolls, hers biscuits, her cookies, her rolls…She bakes for everyone in that small town. When I visited her this past Summer, she went blueberry picking the day before I arrived- an 82 year-old lady, blueberry picking in the hot sun. She baked me 5 blueberry pies, and one apple pie…I was staying with her for 5 days. When she found out I was vegetarian, she stocked her fridge with freshly grown vegetables. It was quite the transition for her, since she is strictly a meat and potatoes kind of gal. Just look at the plate she fed me every night- I was in Heaven! I had such a great time with her, we would spend hours talking, drinking tea, going to church and, of course, playing Bingo!


She is a woman who just loves doing things for others, it is absolutely amazing. She never puts herself first. Everyone knows her. Everyone visits her, since she lives by herself. Any time we call, she is either with company, off to church, at her bridge club, or baking. I could go on forever and write about what an unbelievable lady she is. She herself is Hump Day Happies praiseworthy all around. Oh, did I mention that she also works as a lunch-time monitor at the local Elementary School? She has been doing so for around 40 years. Truly and utterly amazing.

So, the other day I called her and had a nice chat. We always talk about everyone in the family, how they are all doing, etc. We got into a conversation about my wonderful cousin who just went to India for a Yoga retreat- lucky her. Now, here is where the happiest of happies kicks in:

Nanny: “Yes so did you hear about your cousin?”
Me: “Yeah I know, lucky her she is in India!”
Nanny: “I know, she went on one of those umm, whatcha call it, one of them Yogurt retreats.”

She is so sweet she makes sugar taste like salt. I love her to pieces. May you all enjoy a wonderful Yogurt practice at least once in your life, and have a very happy hump day.

Namaste,
Lady Lotus

5 comments:

  1. Nanny does so totally rock... Your 'hump day happy' star brought a smile to my face for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad to hear that! She can make anyone smile!

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are so many wonderful Nannyisms... we are blessed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very blessed indeed! This made me laugh and laugh. Hopefully she undestands that I was doing yoga and not making yogurt! Lol.

    ReplyDelete