Yoga is the perfect opportunity to be curious about who you are.



Monday, January 25, 2010

Position of the Week: Virabhadrasana I (Warrior I)

Benefits: This position will stretch out your chest, lungs, neck, shoulders and belly. It will strengthen the muscles in your arms and shoulders, as well as the muscles in your back. It will also do wonders for your thighs, calves and ankles.

From the very first day I went into Warrior I pose, I knew I was in love.  Though we may associate the term warrior with fighting and violence, it is such a serene position. We are taught to live non-violent lives. To me, this pose’s name does not symbolize hostility. Perhaps it is the inner battle we feel inside of us, when we struggle with something in our lives. By going into warrior pose, we are combating the negativity we may be feeling.


By reaching my arms up towards the sky, I feel as though I am reaching out to attain some wonderful goal in life. If ever I am feeling tired, then I envision myself reaching up to grab energy. If I feel sick, then I reach up to grab health by the horns. If I feel uneasy about something, I reach up and hold on to my own life, and try to find total happiness. With my chest wide open, I offer my heart up by slightly bending back, and expand my lungs to breathe in positive energy.  My legs are strong beneath me, and my feet are grounded. I feel strongly linked to the ground and to the sky, all at once. It is a pose that makes my entire being feel present, and I love you, Warrior I pose, for that.

Namaste,
Lady Lotus

No comments:

Post a Comment