Yoga is the perfect opportunity to be curious about who you are.



Monday, February 7, 2011

Yoga with the Youngsters

Vinny and I had a lovely weekend hanging out with two of our favorite tater-tots: our niece LilM and nephew LilC.  A good chunk of our weekend was dedicated to the following:

1. Watching Go Diego Go.  I am told he is Dora's cousin.  I now know how to say the following in Spanish: agitar (shake) and donde esta la piñata (where is the pinata?).  LilM helped me out with some of the pronunciation.

2. Art and Crafts.  We made a cow, a pig and two dogs out of little pom-poms, felt and pipe cleaners.  My dog is named Brownie, LilM's is Spot (though I was clearly told that I can call him Pongo if I prefer), LilC's cow was named Sam, and Vinny's pig was named Mr. Stinker (then changed to Pinky).

3. Tabogganing.  After making a hill in our backyard, the kids just had to check out the one across the street that was about 10 times bigger.  We brought them to Farmer's Hill, an unofficial landmark in our little burbs of a town.  Vinny and I would slide there as kids, and now further generations continue.  It looked a lot smaller than we remembered- we figure it's either because we got bigger, or the hill is eroding.  Either way, it was a blast!  We even went down backwards- yeah, we're risky like that.

4. Baking Cookies.  LilM read out the ingredients (for a 6-year old she is incredibly smart), I would grab them from the top shelf, and LilC would bring them to the counter.  We all took turns pourring in the ingredients and stirring.  The best part?  Eating them, duh.

5. Wrestling.  Uncle Vinny has officially taught them how to body slam.  Bad influence? Nahh.

6. Homemade pizza.  Vinny and I got a bare pizza dough and donned it with any and all toppings the kiddies desired!  Their pizza of choice: they chose the simple route, tomato sauce and cheese.  They did however love sprinkling the cheese on, and helping us clad our half with lots of veggies.

And what else did we do?  Well, the kids gave me my very own yoga lesson.  Here are some of the poses they taught me:

LilC demonstrating Bumblebee Pose.  If I could add a sound clip you would hear his adorable little voice go Bzz Bzz Bzzzzz.

LilC in Bird Pose.

LilM giving me her best Cobra Pose- all the way up to the hip bones, well done!

One of her favorites: Downward Facing Dog.

LilM testing her balance in Tree Pose, one of my personal favorites.

Of course you can all imagine how proud this yoga-loving Auntie is of her little tykes!  I find it so fantastic that they are discovering yoga at a young age, and just falling in love with it.  Next time we have a slumber party extravaganza with them, I'll roll out the mats and learn some more.

Namaste,
Lady Lotus 

1 comment:

  1. Great photos! Beautiful poses kids! The thing I love about yoga is how natural kids are at it...sort of tells you something, doesn't it?
    KB

    ReplyDelete