Yoga is the perfect opportunity to be curious about who you are.



Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Under the Weather

For the last 2 days I have been bed ridden with a plague-like flu.  I haven't been this sick in a long time.  My brother, father, boss and a few friends have been hit by this bug as well, so I suppose it was only a matter of time before my immune system decided to succumb to the pressure and take a much needed vacation.  Thanks, immune system, no really, I appreciate it.

Well, rather than complain about being sick, I decided to do all that I can to help my immune system gain back its forces!

Step 1: Cuddle with Roxanne.  She has been a superb nurse throughout all of this.

Step 2: Try a new home remedy to easy my aching throat.  Boil a cup of water and stir in a teaspoon of cinnamon, a teaspoon of honey and a bit of lemon.  Though it didn't quite cure anything, it definitely soothed my throat for a bit.  It was actually quite tasty, too.

Step 3: Rest.  I have not moved from my bed since Monday night, other than to use the washroom and make toast.  I have been fortunate enough not to fall behind on my work since Vinny picked up my work laptop for me at the office.  I know, I know, I shouldn't be working, but simply relaxing.  Well, I've been able to accomplish a few small things while in bed.  It has been nothing too strenuous or stressful at all, so I am happy to do it.

Step 4: Succumb to over the counter drugs.  I always try to cure any ailment naturally, but this time, it was unfortunately beyond me.  I have befriended Advil and Contac C, and they have left me feeling a little bit better.  For 6 hours at a time anyways...

Step 5: Mommy.  Yeap, my mom showed up at my door with homemade soup and a tasty looking pasta dish.  Made me wonder, maybe I should have the flu more often? ;)

And the final step, which I just couldn't wait to share with you, and actually to try myself as I have not yet, is this: http://www.yogajournal.com/health/117

Yoga Journal had a great article on poses to practice if you have a cold or the flu.  I am hoping that these asanas will be my guiding light back to health.  If you feel flu or cold symptoms creeping up on you, please take a gander at this article.

This upcoming weekend is my 6th Yoga Teacher Training, so I am keeping my fingers crossed that I will be flu-free!  You are all welcomed to send me positive and healing vibes (and tip!)

Namaste,
Lady Lotus

2 comments:

  1. Have you studied the kriyas (shatkarmas) yet? You could try 'Jala Neti', if you don't have neti-pot apparently can use little teapot. It is supposed to be excellent for clearing out sinuses.
    KB

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh and sirsasana /headstand also great for clearing sinuses, once you have a little energy. Uttansana if not energetic enough for sirsasana. Hope you feel better soon,
    KB

    ReplyDelete