Yoga is the perfect opportunity to be curious about who you are.



Monday, October 25, 2010

Your Hip Bone's Connected to Your...Gluteus Medius and Iliotibial Tract?

Good news: I won't be the youngest person I know to get hip replacement- yippee!

My wonderful physiotherapist J (who has known me since I was a teenager and also works on every member of my family- group rate, anyone?) worked her magic last week and told me what's going on with my naughty hips.  So boys and girls, time for an anatomy lesson!

The reason my hips are sore is far more complex than just doing too many balancing poses in yoga.  Since I am of a somewhat slender physique and have been doing so much yoga, my body is starting to let me in on a little secret: I still need to work on all those nasty little muscles that I've been ignoring!  So here is the breakdown:

1. My gluteus medius is weak.  Not the maximus, not the minimus.  The cozy one that rests right in between like the cream filling of an oreo (or a Fudgeeo, which ever one you prefer to imagine tasting right now).  Like the center of a butterscotch candy, tee hee.  As a result...

2. My fascia lata is weakened as well.  That's the deep tissue fiber surrounding the muscles found in the upper part of my thighs, near my hips.  And because of that...

3. My iliotibial tract is strained and tight.  That's the long fibrous reinforcement that's connected to my fascia lata.  It basically lunges from my hip down to my knee.

Oh, and another thing just for kicks.  J asked me to walk in front of her in a straight line.  After about 3 steps she said "Ok ok come back here...".  When I walk, my hips sway.  Not like sexy super-moel swaying, but like they naturally sway left and right in an unsual way, which also adds to the pain I've been feeling- and the awkward crunchy rubbing I've been feeling when I press my hands against my hips when walking.

So all these players here are a tag-teaming trio out to hurt my hips- boo hoo!  But it's not their fault.  They didn't know that they were weak.  It still amazes me how so may little things can play such an integral role in the human body.  I've said it once and I'll say it again- the human body is a wonder.  So J gave me some gentle exercises to do at home to strengthen them.  Pretty easy stuff- it takes about 15 minutes and I can already feel the muscles being worked in the right way.  In the meantime, I've had to be gentle with my yoga practice.  Nothing that will strain this area even more.

I go back for a second session this Wednesday- lets see if I made these bad boys stronger.

Namaste,
Lady Lotus

Posterior Hip Muscles 3.PNG

1 comment:

  1. ..and then post surgery you'll find a whole heap of other muscles that are feeling weak and need loving.

    ReplyDelete