Yoga is the perfect opportunity to be curious about who you are.



Monday, October 18, 2010

It's Hip to be a Square

I love the title of this post for two reasons.

1. Huey Lewis and the News...need I say more?
2. When practicing certain asanas, it's very important that your hips be squared.

I just love plays on words, don't you?

But let's get to the dealy-o of this post.  It's all about my hips.  And my hips are a-killin' me.  For the last few days I have been feeling a great deal of tenderness in both my hips.  It's quite the uncomfortable sensation.  But my hips have been unruly for quite some time- for as long as I can remember, my hips have "clicked".  When I get out of bed, when I get up from a chair, when I move my legs from crossed to straight to extended to bent...my hips "click", "crack", "snapple", "pop"...they're noisy little (and I use the term little quite loosely as I do find my hips quite curvy and hey, I'm not complaining) buggers.  But today, oh my, today my hips were on my mind.  I couldn't sit in any way that felt right.  My hips were just so sore no matter what.  I guess Sunday's YTT class of balancing poses didn't quite help either.  I was having so much trouble balancing on one leg without having pressure shoot down into my hips.  I grounded my legs, engaged my femurs, lifted my patellae...bu the pressure just wouldn't free itself.  I noticed today that when I walk I feel bones rubbing up against each other in my hips- ouch.  And now the pain has also started teasing my lower back- my poor sacroiliac joints perhaps.

I'm off to see my physiotherapist on Wednesday to see what she thinks.  And of course I will ask my FabTeach what she thinks I could do to help my poor tender hips.  I will keep you all posted!  In the meantime, enjoy this video:


Namaste,
Lady Lotus

No comments:

Post a Comment